Search This Blog

Monday, September 18, 2017

Asian Lettuce Wraps



Ready for the easiest meal you've ever made? These lettuce wraps are here to please. They look pretty impressive to a group when you serve them on a platter, too. This dish is practically just prep work which makes it a fast go-to weeknight meal or even a striking appetizer for a dinner party.

I developed this recipe when I had a girl's night at my house. All of my friends were on diets for the summer and were eating low carb. I tried to think of the most satisfying meal that used practically no carbs and lots of veggies. Around the time, my family and I had just returned from a trip to Disney World where I ate at Animal Kingdom's Yak and Yeti (I highly recommend). There, I ordered asian lettuce wraps that came prepared very similar to this dish. 

I went to the grocery store and put my own spin on the delicious dish I had. To keep things simple, I purchased the sauces from the store rather than making them from scratch. I used butter lettuce instead of iceberg because it is easier to peel and each piece forms itself into a cup, making it less messy than other types of lettuce.

Serve these pre-made or on a platter like I did at your next event or dinner. 

Lettuce Wraps

Preparation:  15 min
                  Cook Time: 20 min  Total Time: 35 min                       

Ingredients
        
          3 chicken breasts
          1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (bought from grocery store)
          3 tbsp crushed peanuts or cashews
          1/2 cup rice
          1/2 cup shredded carrots
          1 head butter lettuce, peeled into individual pieces
          3 tbsp cilantro
          1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (bought from grocery store)
           2 tsp sesame seeds
          Japanese Cucumber Salad*

Instructions

*Make ahead - Japanese Cucumber Salad (optional - cut cucumbers and add raw instead)

         1. Cook rice according to manufacturer's instructions. Rinse rice before use.

         2. Cut raw chicken into strips or chunks. We cut ours into strips.

         3. Cook chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat with teriyaki sauce. Turn occasionally until cooked 
              thoroughly. (About 8-10 minutes)

         4. While chicken is cooking, begin preparing all side items. I placed all of the accouterments on a large 
               plate so that people could build their lettuce wrap however they desired. I put the sweet chili sauce in 
               a small prep bowl. You could also use peanut sauce.

         5. Once chicken is finished cooking, add the sesame seeds and crushed nuts and toss. 
              Place the chicken on the platter and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Little House of Chic. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign