Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2016

Skinny Mojito Recipe





Any hint of warm weather, and I'm ready to break out my skinny mojito recipe! This past weekend it actually got up to 80 degrees outside! So, to celebrate, I decided to show you all how I make my skinny mojitos - the classic kind. In this recipe, I create a mint-infused skinny simple syrup so you can enjoy the mint flavor without getting the leaves stuck in your teeth! :)



What you'll need: mint, white rum, club soda (I used the sodium free kind), truvia (be sure to get the kind that comes free from the little packets....or this will take you forever), limes, mint, and straws.


Start by adding one full package of mint (about 1 1/2 cups) and water into a pot. I add enough water to slightly cover the mint. Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil. 


While the water is heating, add in your truvia. I used 3/4 cup of truvia, but you can add a little more or less depending on how sweet you like yours.


Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and wait for the mint to cook down. You'll know it's ready when the mint has wilted like the photo above (about 5 minutes or so). After the mint has wilted, remove the simple syrup from heat, and with a slotted spoon remove the leaves. I kept them attached to the stem so it would be easier to remove.


You should be left with a semi-thick liquid that looks like this. 


Refrigerate the simple syrup.


While the syrup is cooling, start juicing your limes. I like to use the citrus juicer from Amazon. It saves so much time!


You may now begin making your drink! Start by pouring a shot of your white rum over ice in a tall clear glass.



Once you pour the rum, add a few thin slices of lime using a mandolin slicer and a few tablespoons of lime juice. I used 5 tbsp because I love lime juice.


If you'd like your garnish to look like mine, cut a lime slice about 1/2" thick like the picture above.


Take a sharp knife, and starting at the center of the lime, make one cut being sure to cut through the peel.


Place the lime on the rim of your drink.


Once your simple syrup has cooled, add 1/8 cup of the liquid into your drink, followed by a pour of club soda until the drink is full. (You can add more simple syrup if you like it really sweet)


Finally, garnish with a sprig of mint! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Little House of Chic. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign