Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Cauliflower Casserole

Cauliflower Casserole



We recently had my little nephew in town, who is just the most darling thing! He just turned one and learned to walk two weeks before coming to our house. He has baby blue eyes and blonde hair and smile that melts your heart. I've been feeling baby fever since he left.

Isn't he the cutest?!?



Garrett (my husband) and I are newlyweds and are not quite ready to have a child yet - despite my new day dreams of a sweet baby of our own. We are both entrepreneurs and dedicate a ton of time to our businesses. A baby right now just doesn't seem viable for our life - especially because I'm knee deep in my sommelier studies. 


Having a child in town - I realized how difficult it is for some mothers to get their children to eat healthy food. My other nephew seems to only want chicken nuggets or something sweet. Honestly, I've been burned out on veggies too. I've loved watching other food bloggers come up with fun ideas for various vegetables so that your healthy meal feels indulgent. 

I personally love all vegetables, but I've been serving them up very plain. I have been craving salty foods - macaroni and cheese, twice baked potatoes...all the foods I know I don't need. 


After searching our cabinets and refrigerator, my cauliflower casserole was born! My husband came home and saw the cheesy, decadent, bacon-topped creation and immediately wanted a spoon. 
"What are these? Grits?" 

I agreed until he finished his plate and then broke the news to him that they were not grits, and in fact, they were a veggie he hates - cauliflower! As I paused waiting for him to be disgusted from eating a plate full, he smiled and said "Why haven't you ever cooked cauliflower like this before?".

Trick your kiddos or husband with this awesome recipe! It's a great quick fix for supper.

Cauliflower Casserole

Preparation: 15 min
                  Cook Time: 20 min  Total Time: 35 min                       

Ingredients
        
          1 crown of cauliflower
          8 oz of plain greek yogurt or sour cream
          1-2 tbsp of garlic powder
          1/2 tsp of onion powder
          1/2 tbsp chopped green onion
          1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
          Chopped bacon for garnish
          Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions
        
          Preheat your oven to 375.
          Begin by removing the florets from the stock of the cauliflower crown. Add the florets to a 
          microwavable bowl and add 3 tbsp of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 7-10 
          minutes or until tender. Remove from microwave and and drain. Allow to stand for 2 minutes (this 
          makes the cauliflower more fluffy). Pulse the cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it had a   
          smooth, grit-like texture. Place the cauliflower back in the bowl and mix in your spices, 
          greek yogurt/sour cream, and green onions. Bake the mixture in a hollow dish for 30 minutes, adding  
          the cheese for the last 3 minutes. While the cauliflower is baking, cook your bacon on low-medium heat
          until crunchy. Chop your bacon and garnish the top of the dish when finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Little House of Chic. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign