Search This Blog

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Rosemary Bread

Rosemary Bread

My friends have finally broken me down to share this recipe. My secret recipe is out!


I started making this bread five years ago when I first moved to Atlanta. I was definitely trying to impress my now husband, Garrett by showing him I could cook more than just spaghetti. I think between this recipe and my roast leg of lamb, I sealed the deal and got a pretty great man out of it. My neighbors at our apartment would stop in unexpectedly all the time to visit with us. I don't know if they had a sixth sense as to when I was making this bread, but it seemed like we were never alone when a batch of this was in the oven.


Rosemary bread feels like you're eating a bite of history. I can imagine families hundreds of years ago sitting around the table eating this bread and feeling joy with each warm bite. 

I usually think of this bread as a fall recipe, but with all of the gorgeous tomatoes I've collected over the last few weeks, I thought it would make a great base for a caprese bruschetta with fresh mozzarella.



Usually I serve this bread plain as an appetizer with an olive oil infusion I've created at the time. I like taking small jars and putting various herbs and spices to have a lot of quick options to use for my meal that night. My favorite combination for this bread is a small amount of balsamic vinaigrette, cracked black pepper and flaked salt. It's simple and extremely satisfying. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?


Rosemary Bread

Preparation: 2.5 hours
                  Cook Time: 20-30 min  Total Time: 3 hours                       

Ingredients
        
          3 tsp fresh chopped rosemary + 1/2 tsp to top the bread
          2 cups all purpose flour
          1 pack active dry yeast
          1 1/2 tsp sugar
          1 cup water
          2 tsp flaked salt + 1 tsp to dust the top of the bread (or regular salt if you don't have flaked)
          Olive oil to top 

Instructions
        
          Dissolve yeast in the warm water with sugar and let it do it's thing. In a separate bowl, mix your flour, 
          salt and chopped rosemary. When your yeast is ready (about 2-3 minutes) add it to the bowl of dry 
          ingredients. Mix until blended. The dough should be sticky.

          Cover the dough bowl with a damp cloth and let it rise for 1 hour. If you used your Kitchenaid mixer, lift 
          the paddle and cover your bowl with a damp cloth and let sit an hour. 

           Remove the dough and place it on an oiled cookie sheet. Form the dough into a circle and cover with oil. 
           Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it sit another hour.

           Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap from the bread and brush a little more 
           olive oil on top with your fingers. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and 
           lower the temperature to 375. Top the bread with chopped rosemary and flaked salt. Place back in the 
           oven for 15 minutes.

          Let your bread cool for 5-7 minutes and then cut and serve. Mix a plate of olive oil, balsamic 
          vinaigrette and cracked pepper as a quick dip. Enjoy!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Little House of Chic. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign